Virtual surround sound: The 555 uses ZVOX's proprietary PhaseCue II virtual surround sound processing. PhaseCue II, as its name implies, manipulates the phase of the separate channels to "fool the ear" into believing that sound is coming from a variety of sources throughout the room. The benefits of PhaseCue II vary greatly based on program material.
Live music and well-recorded modern movie soundtracks will deliver rich, three-dimensional sound pulling the sound out from the speakers and into the room, literally surrounding the listener. Note: All virtual surround systems including the PhaseCue II system are limited in their effects when compared to a good 5.1 system. And sitcoms, news broadcasts and soundtracks from older movies often have very little in the way of three-dimensional sound. That being said, PhaseCue II is capable of generating a wonderful and engaging virtual surround experience.
The 555 is bi-amplified, using a specially designed amplifier that includes electronic contouring for superb frequency response. The 555's 5.25" subwoofer uses a high-mass long-throw design in a ported enclosure. The 555's five 2" main speaker drivers use a long-throw design to create remarkably wide range, accurate sound.
Unlike most systems in its category, the 555 uses an MDF (medium density fiberboard) wood cabinet - instead of molded plastic. MDF is the preferred construction material for high-performance speaker systems.
- Dimensions: 28"W x 14 1/2"D x 3 3/8"H
- Weight: 20 pounds. With box and packing: 23 pounds.
- Amplifier: The 555 uses a high-efficiency 70 watt Class D digital amplifier.
- Rear inputs: (2) analog stereo inputs, (1) optical (Toslink) digital input, (1) coaxial digital input.
- Front input: (1) 3.5mm stereo front panel input.
- Frequency range: 45 Hz - 20 kHz.
- A 2-meter RCA-RCA analog stereo connecting cord is included.
- Works only with 110-120 volt power systems.
- The ZVOX 555 is backed by a one year limited parts and labor warranty.